Dapps, or Decentralized Applications, are applications built on the Ethereum Blockchain‘s open-source, peer-to-peer network, which uses smart contracts and front-end user interfaces to create decentralized platforms. Creating a Dapp, like any other app, necessitates programming and running code on the system.
Solidity programming is distinct from other programming languages and is the preferred programming language in Ethereum.
Ethereum, the second-largest cryptocurrency market by capitalization, created Solidity, a brand-new programming language.
What is Solidity Programming, and how does it work?
Solidity is an object-oriented programming language designed specifically for building and designing smart contracts on Blockchain platforms by the Ethereum Network team.
- It’s used to create smart contracts in the blockchain system that implement business logic and generate a chain of transaction records.
- It’s used to write machine-level code and compile it on the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM).
- It is similar to C and C++ in many ways and is relatively easy to learn and understand. A “main” in C, for example, is equivalent to a “contract” in Solidity.
Variables, functions, classes, arithmetic operations, string manipulation, and many other concepts are all present in Solidity programming, as they are in other programming languages.
Solidity Programming’s Different Data Types
It includes all of the standard data types found in other OOP languages, such as, and
- Boolean – Depending on the status of the condition, the Boolean data type returns ‘1’ when the condition is true and ‘0’ when it is false.
- Integer – Solidity allows you to sign or unsign integer values. Runtime exceptions and the ‘uint8’ and ‘uint256’ keywords are also supported. A string can be represented by single or double quotes.
- Modifier – A modifier verifies that any condition is rational before executing the code for a smart contract.
- Array – Solidity supports both single and multidimensional arrays, and its syntax is similar to that of other OOP languages.
Aside from that, Solidity programming allows you to “Map” data structures using enums, operators, and hash values to return values from specific storage locations.
The Benefits of Solidity Programming
Apart from the primary functionality of Solidity Programming, there are numerous other features that give it an advantage over other Ethereum-based languages.
- Solidity programming supports complex data types and member variables in addition to fundamental data types.
- It supports type safety by providing an Application Binary Interface (ABI). The ABI generates an error if the compiler discovers a data type mismatch for any variable.
- It refers to the ‘Natural Language Specification,’ which is used to convert user-centric specifications into machine-readable language.
If you are interested mostly in tech-related stuff then you can check out our blog for more articles and tutorials here.
Author: Sana Ghani
Sana Ghani is currently working as a content writer. She is hardworking and looks forward to providing the best quality content for her clients. Click here for LinkedIn Profile.